Friday, February 2, 2007

the first 30 days of the rest of my life

Well... as of today I have been at my job one month. I won't pretend the transition has been easy for me, but it is getting better, and that is all I can hope for. (I have only cried once this week!) I brought in bagels and cream cheese for everyone this morning as kind of a celebration, but more so because it was Friday and half the office staff was going to be away for one reason or another. Seems like a good day for bagels to me!

I am enjoying the little town so far. In particular, I have enjoyed the abundance of pickup trucks and the way people tend to wear an embarrassing lack of clothing considering the weather. I saw a guy shoveling his walk yesterday in shorts. (That is snow shoveling in shorts.) And there is a gentleman who frequents the planning office who seems to prefer neon orange tank tops in 20 degree weather. I can only guess this some kind of Montana-guy-toughness-I’ll-show-you-cold kind of thing. I suppose, though, he might always be on his way to go hunting, and the only neon orange he owns is in tank top form. In either case, I probably won’t ask him about it.

Otherwise, things are falling into place. I am doing what I can to find my place, not only in a new community, not only in a new state, but in basically a new country after being gone two years. At least I speak the local language!

I am still working on my Rubix cube I got at Christmas.
I have mastered the warm green salad.
I have bought most of the thrift store hippie skirts I could find and I am knitting them into a rug.
Shaun and I are happy, and managing to not only live together but also work together in peace.

So pretty good overall.

3 comments:

Mariel said...

YA for new blogs and blog updates. It's awesome to see your house and I'm glad you are doing fine.
danielle

mBoden said...

Vanessa, Mark Boden (Columbus/OEPA) here, hope all is well on the western front...nice pics of the place, looks cozy. Didja hear about this? I thought of you when I saw it, was glad you're back in the states...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070414/ap_on_re_as/philippines_american_missing
anyhow, I was just surfing around this morning (they're calling for snow later today! we had 80's a couple of weeks ago) and thought I'd try to find you. Take care of Shaun ( :-) ), and post a pic of that Rubik's when you get it done!!!
cya
mark

Daisy said...

I have one guess who the gentleman in the tank tops might be...

And yes, you need to start taking pictures of your garden. As I am sure you will soon see in my own blog, I need guidance as I plan my garden!!! And aren't you a planner or something?